POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Observation: Memory Increase During Render : Re: Observation: Memory Increase During Render Server Time
12 Jun 2024 07:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Observation: Memory Increase During Render
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 25 Mar 2016 08:45:01
Message: <web.56f531d82b3b4bf7a10b12a00@news.povray.org>
I have seen this happen, but only occasionally. And I have a workaround.

Some while ago one of my images (I render at 2048x1536) crashed POV-Ray (XP,
intel quad core - yes, I know, I need to leave the stone age!) by eating up the
memory (gradual climb from 1.3 gb to 1.7 gb over 24 hours). It was a tree scene
so there were lots of objects. I subsequently discovered that by pausing the
render and going off to do something else on the very same machine the reported
memory usage dropped and then picked up again after restarting the render, but
at a much lower value, allowing the render to complete.

Is this the same problem, or something else again?