POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Binary meshes? Server Time
15 May 2024 14:52:16 EDT (-0400)
  Binary meshes? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Binary meshes?
Date: 15 Jun 2015 09:09:37
Message: <557ece91$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Still aiming at POVEarth/POVghanistan (and also high-quality renderings
of other Solar System bodies) - but currently, there is a bottleneck
when it comes to generating "spherical" (i. e. following Earth's
curvature) mesh2s from 16-bit (or whatever format) heightfields!

The Japanese ASTER mission elevation tiles have a resolution of 3601 by
3601 measuring points (i. e. pixels in a heightfield generated from
these data) - but even with 16 GiB of RAM, I had to decrease the
resolution to 2600 by 2600, otherwise POV-Ray would crash.

Of course this is because POV-Ray generates full ASCII code rather than
(like with heightfields) binary data to internally represent the mesh2
object.

Have there ever been any attempts to write a patch to make binary meshes
feasible with POV-Ray?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Le 15-06-15 09:09, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann a écrit :

> Hi(gh)!
>
> Still aiming at POVEarth/POVghanistan (and also high-quality renderings
> of other Solar System bodies) - but currently, there is a bottleneck
> when it comes to generating "spherical" (i. e. following Earth's
> curvature) mesh2s from 16-bit (or whatever format) heightfields!
>
> The Japanese ASTER mission elevation tiles have a resolution of 3601 by
> 3601 measuring points (i. e. pixels in a heightfield generated from
> these data) - but even with 16 GiB of RAM, I had to decrease the
> resolution to 2600 by 2600, otherwise POV-Ray would crash.
>
> Of course this is because POV-Ray generates full ASCII code rather than
> (like with heightfields) binary data to internally represent the mesh2
> object.
>
> Have there ever been any attempts to write a patch to make binary meshes
> feasible with POV-Ray?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

I'd start with an hight_field, then, start to play with functions and
isosurface.
Take your TIFF image, convert it into an image pattern, then into a
function.
The image's coordinates would become the longitudes and latitudes, to be
adjusted by the base coordinates of the location to be rendered, and the
values of each points would be added to a base radius to give the actual
elevation.

Just don't convert into a mesh.

Alain

Post a reply to this message