POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Binary meshes? : Re: Binary meshes? Server Time
29 May 2024 05:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Binary meshes?
From: David Given
Date: 27 Sep 2015 11:57:36
Message: <560811f0$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/06/15 15:09, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann wrote:
[...]
> The Japanese ASTER mission elevation tiles have a resolution of 3601 by
> 3601 measuring points (i. e. pixels in a heightfield generated from
> these data) - but even with 16 GiB of RAM, I had to decrease the
> resolution to 2600 by 2600, otherwise POV-Ray would crash.

Very very belated, but I've been doing something similar with my Flooded
Moon project (http://cowlark.com/flooded-moon). I have a bespoke tool
which takes a set of NASA PDS files and generates a mesh centred on the
camera, with the polygon size dropping off in the distance. You may find
it useful.

[...]
> Have there ever been any attempts to write a patch to make binary meshes
> feasible with POV-Ray?

I'd love such a thing --- particularly if it could be a format which
Povray could use directly without conversion. And then have it loaded
with mmap. Writing out 2GB of ASCII mesh out to disk just so I can load
it straight back in to memory is so *slow*, and all wasted work.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────