POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Binary meshes? : Re: Binary meshes? Server Time
11 Jun 2024 00:00:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Binary meshes?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 19 Jun 2015 16:08:34
Message: <558476c2$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 19.06.2015 16:30, Alain wrote:

> I'd use a box to contain only the part to be used, dimentiones as small
> as possible. If the container is a sphere, then, it should be default to
> just a sphere outside the area of interest.
> The max_gradient should be relatively low, in the 2.2 range, with a
> simple function. This should render reasonably fast. Using evaluate
> could make things go slightly faster.

You probably misunderstood me - I'm aware of a function which allows
heightfields to be "wrapped" around a sphere as an isosurface (it's even
included in the ready-made script texts with the Windows version of
POV-Ray 3.7!). But this would apply to global heightfields - I instead
thought of heightfields only covering a small tile of the surface, for
example 1 by 1 degree, and they should not globally "wrap", but be
constrained to their geographic coordinates!

> As for the patch, I don't think it exist.

Then I probably know what I have to do - perhaps around 2020, there
might be an inofficial 3.7 (or 3.8) patch named "GeoPOV" which
facilitates binary meshes ("Geo_mesh2")... but it would be a long and
arduous task, especially for me who never modified professional C++ code!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar