POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Binary meshes? : Re: Binary meshes? Server Time
27 Sep 2024 19:00:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Binary meshes?
From: Mr
Date: 22 Jun 2015 09:20:00
Message: <web.55880ab0dc565de016086ed00@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?B?SsO2cmcgJ1lhZGdhcicgQmxlaW1hbm4=?= <yazdegird@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Still aiming at POVEarth/POVghanistan (and also high-quality renderings
> of other Solar System bodies) - but currently, there is a bottleneck
> when it comes to generating "spherical" (i. e. following Earth's
> curvature) mesh2s from 16-bit (or whatever format) heightfields!
>
> The Japanese ASTER mission elevation tiles have a resolution of 3601 by
> 3601 measuring points (i. e. pixels in a heightfield generated from
> these data) - but even with 16 GiB of RAM, I had to decrease the
> resolution to 2600 by 2600, otherwise POV-Ray would crash.
>
> Of course this is because POV-Ray generates full ASCII code rather than
> (like with heightfields) binary data to internally represent the mesh2
> object.
>
> Have there ever been any attempts to write a patch to make binary meshes
> feasible with POV-Ray?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

Maybe adding  support for an existing library like Alembic format would solve
this request and some others?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alembic_%28Computer_Graphics%29

or micro poly tesselation and displacement at rendertime, renderman style? Does
Aqsis have it? as an open source example?

I don't know much about all these solutions but I would love to be able to do
exactly the same thing you request.