POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Binary meshes? : Re: Binary meshes? Server Time
10 Jun 2024 18:38:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Binary meshes?
From: Alain
Date: 19 Jun 2015 10:29:58
Message: <55842766@news.povray.org>
Le 15-06-18 21:26, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann a écrit :
> Hi(gh)!

> O.k., this would avoid the memory-consuming generation of ASCII script
> code - of course at the expense of rendering time. But I never found out
> how to constrain such a function to a certain surface area defined by
> geographic coordinates rather than just producing a whole "sphere"...
>
> The more sophisticated approach would be hacking the very source code of
> POV-Ray, adding an object type "Geo_Mesh", which internally would be
> treated just like a heightfield - you would specify an image map (or
> even ASCII matrix file) containing the elevation data, then geographic
> coordinates for opposite corners, finally the "base radius" of the
> sphere to which the elevation values would be added.
>
> Does such a patch for POV-Ray already exist - or would I be the first to
> write it?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

I'd use a box to contain only the part to be used, dimentiones as small
as possible. If the container is a sphere, then, it should be default to
just a sphere outside the area of interest.
The max_gradient should be relatively low, in the 2.2 range, with a
simple function. This should render reasonably fast. Using evaluate
could make things go slightly faster.

As for the patch, I don't think it exist.

Alain