POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stereoscopic Software Server Time
15 Jun 2024 16:00:40 EDT (-0400)
  Stereoscopic Software (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Stephen
Subject: Stereoscopic Software
Date: 24 Oct 2014 14:54:49
Message: <544aa079$1@news.povray.org>
I am looking for software to create stereoscopic images created in PovRay.
I have a new “dream machine” with a 3D Vision (Nvidia) screen. I am
using Anaglyph Maker and it does the job but it has flaws. It only seems
to work with BMP files and there is no batch function. Other programs I
have found only output the red/green anaglyphs.
Any recommendations?

Another thing I need is some sort of tutorial that explains the
different effects you get by changing the stereo base and the look at
point for CG rendering. The articles that I have read were for
photographic cameras not pin-hole cameras and I cannot relate near and
far depth to PovRay’s cameras.
If anyone is interested here is a left and right image of a previous
TC-TRC entry. It is not right and I don’t know what is wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/amCXi#0
http://imgur.com/a/amCXi#1

(The names have been changed and I think the first one is the Right Eye
image.)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I am looking for software to create stereoscopic images created in PovRay.
> I have a new “dream machine” with a 3D Vision (Nvidia) screen. I am
> using Anaglyph Maker and it does the job but it has flaws. It only seems
> to work with BMP files and there is no batch function. Other programs I
> have found only output the red/green anaglyphs.
> Any recommendations?
>
> Another thing I need is some sort of tutorial that explains the
> different effects you get by changing the stereo base and the look at
> point for CG rendering. The articles that I have read were for
> photographic cameras not pin-hole cameras and I cannot relate near and
> far depth to PovRay’s cameras.
> If anyone is interested here is a left and right image of a previous
> TC-TRC entry. It is not right and I don’t know what is wrong.
>
> http://imgur.com/a/amCXi#0
> http://imgur.com/a/amCXi#1
>
> (The names have been changed and I think the first one is the Right Eye
> image.)

I have a patch for a stereoscopic camera in povray.

You have to consider a few things:
* what is the distance between the centre of each "eye" ?
* where is the focus point where both centres of picture's rays meet.
* do you want parallel or crossed visualisation

Otherwise, it's pretty like traditional pin-hole camera.

So, did you laterally translate the camera between each render ?
Did both focus on the same spot ?

The camera should move, not the scene.

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message

> I have a patch for a stereoscopic camera in povray.

Interesting?

> You have to consider a few things:
> * what is the distance between the centre of each "eye" ?

Indeed! and what effect does increasing the distance have?* Some of my
reading suggests that for distance shots an extended baseline is
recommended.

> * where is the focus point where both centres of picture's rays meet.

Again, is there a recognised behaviour when you change that point?*

> * do you want parallel or crossed visualisation

I don't know. I have lcd shutter glasses I guess that parallel would be
more comfortable.

> Otherwise, it's pretty like traditional pin-hole camera.

The articles I've read talk about a lens's near and far points depending
on the focal length of the lens. Which in itself gives an estimate for
the angle of view.
That is not pinhole camera stuff. (I hope)

> So, did you laterally translate the camera between each render ?
> Did both focus on the same spot ?
>
> The camera should move, not the scene.

What I have done is use Pov's animation system via Bishop3D.
I set up the camera in the centre position then add and subtract a
translation leaving the look at, the same in two separate frames.

* I have run tests varying these things but have not come to any
conclusions other than it is art not science. ;-)

Possibly because my workflow is poor.
1. set up a scene in Bishop3D and render the frames.
2. Accept error message that Pov 3.7 is required.
3. Open file in Pov 3.7 and render.
4. Open left and right images in Anaglyph Maker and save stereogram.
5. Open 3D Vision player and view in 3D.
6. Try to remember why you came into the room. ;-)

I would like to know how to work out where the plane is that separates
"in front" of the screen from "behind the screen". That would be a
starting point.

BTW Thanks.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I am looking for software to create stereoscopic images created in PovRay.
> I have a new “dream machine” with a 3D Vision (Nvidia) screen. I am
> using Anaglyph Maker and it does the job but it has flaws. It only seems
> to work with BMP files and there is no batch function. Other programs I
> have found only output the red/green anaglyphs.
> Any recommendations?
>
> Another thing I need is some sort of tutorial that explains the
> different effects you get by changing the stereo base and the look at
> point for CG rendering. The articles that I have read were for
> photographic cameras not pin-hole cameras and I cannot relate near and
> far depth to PovRay’s cameras.
> If anyone is interested here is a left and right image of a previous
> TC-TRC entry. It is not right and I don’t know what is wrong.
>
> http://imgur.com/a/amCXi#0
> http://imgur.com/a/amCXi#1
>
> (The names have been changed and I think the first one is the Right Eye
> image.)
>
> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

Try "StereoPhoto Maker", it has many types of output.

Stephen S

Post a reply to this message