POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stereoscopic Software : Re: Stereoscopic Software Server Time
21 Jun 2024 01:59:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stereoscopic Software
From: Stephen
Date: 24 Oct 2014 16:16:02
Message: <544ab382$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/10/2014 20:37, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> I have a patch for a stereoscopic camera in povray.

Interesting?

> You have to consider a few things:
> * what is the distance between the centre of each "eye" ?

Indeed! and what effect does increasing the distance have?* Some of my
reading suggests that for distance shots an extended baseline is
recommended.

> * where is the focus point where both centres of picture's rays meet.

Again, is there a recognised behaviour when you change that point?*

> * do you want parallel or crossed visualisation

I don't know. I have lcd shutter glasses I guess that parallel would be
more comfortable.

> Otherwise, it's pretty like traditional pin-hole camera.

The articles I've read talk about a lens's near and far points depending
on the focal length of the lens. Which in itself gives an estimate for
the angle of view.
That is not pinhole camera stuff. (I hope)

> So, did you laterally translate the camera between each render ?
> Did both focus on the same spot ?
>
> The camera should move, not the scene.

What I have done is use Pov's animation system via Bishop3D.
I set up the camera in the centre position then add and subtract a
translation leaving the look at, the same in two separate frames.

* I have run tests varying these things but have not come to any
conclusions other than it is art not science. ;-)

Possibly because my workflow is poor.
1. set up a scene in Bishop3D and render the frames.
2. Accept error message that Pov 3.7 is required.
3. Open file in Pov 3.7 and render.
4. Open left and right images in Anaglyph Maker and save stereogram.
5. Open 3D Vision player and view in 3D.
6. Try to remember why you came into the room. ;-)

I would like to know how to work out where the plane is that separates
"in front" of the screen from "behind the screen". That would be a
starting point.

BTW Thanks.

--

Regards