POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 11:49:47 EDT (-0400)
  FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits.
Date: 23 Aug 2014 12:51:36
Message: <53f8c698$1@news.povray.org>
I've made a couple previous runs at using the relatively new tiling
patterns finding some things working and others not. Today finally
figured out the tiling pattern requires 7 significant digits in the map
file used with the pattern when into values like 0.316666...

The scenes/textures/patterns/tiling.pov example writes only 4
significant digits & I was using that code to create my maps.

I'd suggest updating the tiling example to write 7 significant digits  &
perhaps a note about this should made in the documentation too. Tiling
23,3 is an example with the issue should folks want to verify.

Not really sure why more accuracy is required. It only affects parts of
some tiles within any given tiling pattern with the issue.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 23/08/2014 18:51, William F Pokorny wrote:
> I've made a couple previous runs at using the relatively new tiling
> patterns finding some things working and others not. Today finally
> figured out the tiling pattern requires 7 significant digits in the map
> file used with the pattern when into values like 0.316666...
>
> The scenes/textures/patterns/tiling.pov example writes only 4
> significant digits & I was using that code to create my maps.
>
> I'd suggest updating the tiling example to write 7 significant digits  &
> perhaps a note about this should made in the documentation too. Tiling
> 23,3 is an example with the issue should folks want to verify.
>
> Not really sure why more accuracy is required. It only affects parts of
> some tiles within any given tiling pattern with the issue.
>
> Bill P.

You should use fraction, it is simpler and not limited in precision
(well, let povray handles that point).

Tiling 23 is using 3 tiles, how do you split 1.0 in 3 parts of same
size, when the underluying arithmetic is bound to binary representation ?

Now, maybe an update of the scenes/textures/patterns/tiling.pov example ?

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message