POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits. : Re: FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits.
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 23 Aug 2014 12:59:19
Message: <53f8c867@news.povray.org>
On 23/08/2014 18:51, William F Pokorny wrote:
> I've made a couple previous runs at using the relatively new tiling
> patterns finding some things working and others not. Today finally
> figured out the tiling pattern requires 7 significant digits in the map
> file used with the pattern when into values like 0.316666...
>
> The scenes/textures/patterns/tiling.pov example writes only 4
> significant digits & I was using that code to create my maps.
>
> I'd suggest updating the tiling example to write 7 significant digits  &
> perhaps a note about this should made in the documentation too. Tiling
> 23,3 is an example with the issue should folks want to verify.
>
> Not really sure why more accuracy is required. It only affects parts of
> some tiles within any given tiling pattern with the issue.
>
> Bill P.

You should use fraction, it is simpler and not limited in precision
(well, let povray handles that point).

Tiling 23 is using 3 tiles, how do you split 1.0 in 3 parts of same
size, when the underluying arithmetic is bound to binary representation ?

Now, maybe an update of the scenes/textures/patterns/tiling.pov example ?

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)