POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits. : Re: FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits. Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FYI. tiling pattern maps require 7 significant digits.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 23 Aug 2014 15:09:29
Message: <53f8e6e9@news.povray.org>
On 08/23/2014 12:59 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> You should use fraction, it is simpler and not limited in precision
> (well, let povray handles that point).
>
> Tiling 23 is using 3 tiles, how do you split 1.0 in 3 parts of same
> size, when the underluying arithmetic is bound to binary representation ?
>
> Now, maybe an update of the scenes/textures/patterns/tiling.pov example ?

Agree, all good points. I admit to just using the tiling.pov's WriteMap
feature to get the maps in large part because I didn't understand how
the tiling pattern worked.

... I used this feature of the example
// change to yes to write the color_map to a text file
#declare WriteMap = no;

The quick fix to tiling.pov for the WriteMap feature above is just :

71,72c71,72
<             #write (MapFile, "    [", str(V2/TileTypes,5,4)," rgb <",
vstr(3, ThisColor,", ", 0,4),">]\n")
<             #write (MapFile, "    [", str((V2+incre)/TileTypes,5,4),"
rgb <", vstr(3, ThisColor,", ", 0,4),">]\n")
---
 >             #write (MapFile, "    [", str(V2/TileTypes,5,7)," rgb <",
vstr(3, ThisColor,", ", 0,4),">]\n")
 >             #write (MapFile, "    [", str((V2+incre)/TileTypes,5,7),"
rgb <", vstr(3, ThisColor,", ", 0,4),">]\n")

Even getting the color tiles I expect, I still don't understand
everything about this tiling pattern. I didn't expect the pattern to
plateau (or perhaps it peaks and recedes) inside the tiles? Rather I
thought there would be a continued gradient to the center making
impossible the sensitivity to mathematical noise in the map we see.

I'll see if tomorrow I can find some time to update so a fractional
representation map is written to the WriteMap file instead of the fix
above. Perhaps too adjusting the break points slightly more away from
the apparent calk/tile edges of the pattern if I can get a better
understanding of the gradients. Guess I can plot the whole thing as one
gradient to better see what it is really doing in the tiles.

Bill P.