POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Overlapping multiple generated scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlapping multiple generated scenes (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Overlapping multiple generated scenes
Date: 23 Apr 2012 10:27:33
Message: <4f9566d5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.04.2012 15:30, schrieb sic2:
> This is the code I have written so far:
>
> #declare Index = 0;
> #declare offset_index = 30;
>
> #while(Index<  90)
>    difference {
>
>     sphere {
>             <1, 0, -6>, 0.5
>             finish {
>                     ambient 0.1
>                     diffuse 0.6
>             }
>             pigment { NeonPink }
>     }
>    // Cutting plane
>    #declare rgb_coeff = 255;
>    plane {
>     // http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/297/
>     <0, 0, 1>, -7 // This will vary depening on the index
>     pigment {
>                    rgb<Index/rgb_coeff, Index/rgb_coeff, Index/rgb_coeff>
>            }
>           translate<0, 0, 1>
>    }
>

>    }  // end difference
>          #declare Index = Index + offset_index;
> #end // end while-loop
>

> What I am aiming to get is to cut the same scene multiple times at different
> depths and getting the cut scene (the scene is cut using a plane). Then I want
> to take all the cut scenes (from the one cut to its farthest point to the one
> cut at its closest point) and overlap all of them.
> I should then get a depth map with different grays like this one:
> http://www.dofpro.com/tutorials/chessDM.jpg
>
> How do I go about getting the different cut scenes and put all of them
> together?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.

If all you want is a depth map, a much easier, faster and qualitatively
superior approach is to simply use a corresponding texture.

Comment out any textures already applied to your objects (or use an
"#if...#end" construct). Place all your objects into a single union, and
equip that one with a texture having an "emission 1 ambient 0 diffuse 0
specular 0 phong 0" finish (in POV-Ray 3.6, use "ambient 1" instead of
"emission 1 ambient 0"), and a gradient or planar pigment fading from
white (near the camera) to black (far away from the camera).

Post a reply to this message

> If all you want is a depth map, a much easier, faster and qualitatively
> superior approach is to simply use a corresponding texture.
>
> Comment out any textures already applied to your objects (or use an
> "#if...#end" construct). Place all your objects into a single union, and
> equip that one with a texture having an "emission 1 ambient 0 diffuse 0
> specular 0 phong 0" finish (in POV-Ray 3.6, use "ambient 1" instead of
> "emission 1 ambient 0"), and a gradient or planar pigment fading from
> white (near the camera) to black (far away from the camera).

This is what I got:

union {
 sphere {
  <-2, 0, -6>, 0.5
 }

 box {
  <-1, -2, -5>, < 1,  2,  3>
  rotate <0, -20, 0>
 }
 pigment {
  gradient x
  pigment_map {
   [ -10 White]
   [ 100 Black ]
  }
 }
 finish {
  ambient 1
  diffuse 0
  specular 0
  phong 0
 }

}  // end union

However, the transition between Black and White is not very homogeneous.
What do I do wrong?
Also do you know if it's possible to create a gray map of just depth Z lets say
(or from depth Z_1 to Z_2) ? I need an answer for the second question for post
processing the image later.
Thank you again.

Post a reply to this message

>> If all you want is a depth map, a much easier, faster and qualitatively
>> superior approach is to simply use a corresponding texture.
>>
>> Comment out any textures already applied to your objects (or use an
>> "#if...#end" construct). Place all your objects into a single union, and
>> equip that one with a texture having an "emission 1 ambient 0 diffuse 0
>> specular 0 phong 0" finish (in POV-Ray 3.6, use "ambient 1" instead of
>> "emission 1 ambient 0"), and a gradient or planar pigment fading from
>> white (near the camera) to black (far away from the camera).
>

> This is what I got:
>
> union {
>   sphere {
>    <-2, 0, -6>, 0.5
>   }
>
>   box {
>    <-1, -2, -5>,<  1,  2,  3>
>    rotate<0, -20, 0>
>   }
>   pigment {
>    gradient x
>    pigment_map {
>     [ -10 White]
>     [ 100 Black ]
>    }
>   }

The value range for any pattern is always 0..1, so you'll need to use

   pigment_map {
     [0.0 White]
     [1.0 Black]
   }

For the gradient to cover the proper range, scale (and possibly
translate) the pigment, as in

   pigment {
     gradient x
     pigment_map {...}
     scale <110,1,1>
     translate -10*x
   }

> Also do you know if it's possible to create a gray map of just depth Z lets say
> (or from depth Z_1 to Z_2) ? I need an answer for the second question for post
> processing the image later.

I don't really understand what you mean. Maybe it would help if you
described what you are ultimately trying to achieve with all of this.

Post a reply to this message