POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Overlapping multiple generated scenes : Re: Overlapping multiple generated scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlapping multiple generated scenes
From: sic2
Date: 23 Apr 2012 17:25:00
Message: <web.4f95c7f461b138fc9a9b32670@news.povray.org>
> > Also do you know if it's possible to create a gray map of just depth Z lets say
> > (or from depth Z_1 to Z_2) ? I need an answer for the second question for post
> > processing the image later.
>
> I don't really understand what you mean. Maybe it would help if you
> described what you are ultimately trying to achieve with all of this.

It kind of hard to explain, but I will try:
What I am trying to get are a number of maps for different depths. So basically
I will have a map, for example, every 10 units in the z-axis.
Here is the hard part:
A depth map can be imagined as a scene cut many many times (at different depths)
where each time you assign a different gray to the cut scene depending on the
depth, right? Then if you overlap all the resulting scenes you should get what
we've done so far.
However, given two depths from i to j;  I want the cut objects, in the scene,
starting at depth i until depth j and make them to look smaller.
So if I have a sphere this would be cut and then "look" gray with a radius r,
but I want the radius to be (r - x).  This principle could be applied to any
object.
I already have some idea on how to make the gray part of a certain object
"smaller" by using Matlab or some other programming language.
However, what it could be useful would be to:
1. generate a depth map that excludes the depth from i to j. So there would be a
map from 0 to i, a jump, and then from j to the farthest point in the scene.
Thus the fading from white to black won't be homogeneous.
2. generate a depth map that contains takes in consideration only the depth from
i to j. this would then be post-processed and added to the first map.

I hope all this was clear somehow. I would perfectly understand if this seems
just a mess to you.