POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plywood texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Plywood texture (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Solar Mike
Subject: Plywood texture
Date: 27 Jan 2011 23:30:01
Message: <web.4d4245ad96e2ba37b86a4a720@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to model a plywood texture and was hoping someone here would have
some insight for me.

The problem I am having is due to the way light interacts with end-grain in wood
(it looks darker.)  This makes the edge of plywood have darker looking plys
between plys that are the same colour as the plywood surface.  Further, those
same dark plys on one edge are light on the adjacent edge (and the light ones
are dark.)  The same really goes for pretty well any wood but it is quite
obvious with plywood.

Thanks,
Mike

Post a reply to this message

Le 28/01/2011 05:27, Solar Mike nous fit lire :
> I'm trying to model a plywood texture and was hoping someone here would have
> some insight for me.
>
> The problem I am having is due to the way light interacts with end-grain in wood
> (it looks darker.)  This makes the edge of plywood have darker looking plys
> between plys that are the same colour as the plywood surface.  Further, those
> same dark plys on one edge are light on the adjacent edge (and the light ones
> are dark.)  The same really goes for pretty well any wood but it is quite
> obvious with plywood.

Not all plywood, not every cut.
Darkness/lightness is due to the orientation of the fibers in regards to
the cut.

Use the cubic pattern at the root of your texture.
Then for each of the 6 faces, provide the pattern that you want
(including a shifted pattern for the adjacent edge, or a reversed map...)

Scale & translate the cubic as needed.

Post a reply to this message