POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plywood texture : Re: Plywood texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plywood texture
From: clipka
Date: 28 Jan 2011 15:29:39
Message: <4d432733@news.povray.org>
Am 28.01.2011 19:05, schrieb Solar Mike:

> You are quite right about not all plywoods working this way and is indeed due to
> the fiber orientation.  I was hoping to find a more general solution as many of
> the pieces I have will have curves "cut" in them.  This problem shows itself on
> plain (but curved) pieces of wood I am trying to render as well and I have not
> figured out a good way of dealing with that.

I'd suggest some nested construct:

Use a high-frwequency gradient pattern to simulate the layering of the
plywood, alternating between two differently oriented versions of the
main texture, depending on Y coordinate (presuming your plywood board is
in the XZ plane).

To simulate the orientation dependency of the texture within each
plywood layer, use a radial sine_wave frequency 2 pattern to blend
between two textures with different brightness and whatever other
properties you may want to vary.