POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plywood texture : Re: Plywood texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plywood texture
From: Solar Mike
Date: 28 Jan 2011 13:10:00
Message: <web.4d430550ae170778a6a53d210@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Not all plywood, not every cut.
> Darkness/lightness is due to the orientation of the fibers in regards to
> the cut.
>
> Use the cubic pattern at the root of your texture.
> Then for each of the 6 faces, provide the pattern that you want
> (including a shifted pattern for the adjacent edge, or a reversed map...)
>
> Scale & translate the cubic as needed.

Thanks for responding.

You are quite right about not all plywoods working this way and is indeed due to
the fiber orientation.  I was hoping to find a more general solution as many of
the pieces I have will have curves "cut" in them.  This problem shows itself on
plain (but curved) pieces of wood I am trying to render as well and I have not
figured out a good way of dealing with that.

Typically, I see these issues when doing CSG operations.