POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plywood texture : Re: Plywood texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plywood texture
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Jan 2011 12:08:08
Message: <4d42f7f8$1@news.povray.org>
Le 28/01/2011 05:27, Solar Mike nous fit lire :
> I'm trying to model a plywood texture and was hoping someone here would have
> some insight for me.
>
> The problem I am having is due to the way light interacts with end-grain in wood
> (it looks darker.)  This makes the edge of plywood have darker looking plys
> between plys that are the same colour as the plywood surface.  Further, those
> same dark plys on one edge are light on the adjacent edge (and the light ones
> are dark.)  The same really goes for pretty well any wood but it is quite
> obvious with plywood.

Not all plywood, not every cut.
Darkness/lightness is due to the orientation of the fibers in regards to
the cut.

Use the cubic pattern at the root of your texture.
Then for each of the 6 faces, provide the pattern that you want
(including a shifted pattern for the adjacent edge, or a reversed map...)

Scale & translate the cubic as needed.