POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sun, atmosphere, haze etc. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Sun, atmosphere, haze etc. (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: Sun, atmosphere, haze etc.
Date: 26 Aug 2009 22:28:07
Message: <4a95ef37$1@news.povray.org>
Reactor wrote:
> I'd have to see an example, but what you've described sounds kind of like
> sampling artifacts  Is the second sampling parameter still used with method 3?
> try boosting the min samples to 50 and rendering only that small part of the
> scene.  If it is closer to what you expected, then it was caused by sampling
> errors.
>
> -Reactor

That helps, but it causes the scene to take a real long time to render.
Would splitting into multiple objects help?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 27 Aug 2009 21:14:48
Message: <4a972f88$1@news.povray.org>

> SharkD <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Reactor wrote:
>>> You can try increasing the extinction value in the scattering block.  By
>>> default, extinction is 1.0, but you can increase it to something higher to
>>> increase the amount of light absorbed by the media without actually thickening
>>> the media.  By doing this, though, your clouds may have a very strong color
>>> contrast with white at the tops and a very dark bottom.  You can control the
>>> contrast of the clouds by balancing the scattering media with absorption and
>>> emission medias.
>>>

>>> -Reactor
>> Thanks! Any tips on the increasing brightness problem I described in my
>> other post?
>>
>> -Mike
>
> I'd have to see an example, but what you've described sounds kind of like
> sampling artifacts  Is the second sampling parameter still used with method 3?
> try boosting the min samples to 50 and rendering only that small part of the
> scene.  If it is closer to what you expected, then it was caused by sampling
> errors.
>
> -Reactor

Is the second sampling parameter still used with method 3?
No!
There is no longer a concept of min and max samples. Only samples.

Do I need to change the number of intervals?
NO! Leave it at 1. Otherwise, it's slow like thick molace in winter. It
can also cause artefacts. Increase the number of samples.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> > I'd have to see an example, but what you've described sounds kind of like
> > sampling artifacts  Is the second sampling parameter still used with method 3?
> > try boosting the min samples to 50 and rendering only that small part of the
> > scene.  If it is closer to what you expected, then it was caused by sampling
> > errors.
> >
> > -Reactor
>

> That helps, but it causes the scene to take a real long time to render.

Yeah, scattering media does that.

> Would splitting into multiple objects help?

Probably not, unless you fit the media more tightly to the container shapes.
However, you could split it into multiple container shapes and use different
settings for those (if you wanted to).

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

> Is the second sampling parameter still used with method 3?
> No!
> There is no longer a concept of min and max samples. Only samples.
>
> Do I need to change the number of intervals?
> NO! Leave it at 1. Otherwise, it's slow like thick molace in winter. It
> can also cause artefacts. Increase the number of samples.
>

> Alain

Ah, thanks.  I knew that about the intervals, but I wasn't sure about the
samples second parameter being ignored.  On a somewhat related note, I am
becoming increasingly curious as to how his image will look.

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

>>> You can try increasing the extinction value in the scattering block.  By
>>> default, extinction is 1.0, but you can increase it to something higher to
>>> increase the amount of light absorbed by the media without actually thickening
>>> the media.  By doing this, though, your clouds may have a very strong color
>>> contrast with white at the tops and a very dark bottom.  You can control the
>>> contrast of the clouds by balancing the scattering media with absorption and
>>> emission medias.
>>>

>>> -Reactor
>> Thanks! Any tips on the increasing brightness problem I described in my
>> other post?
>>
>> -Mike
>
> I'd have to see an example, but what you've described sounds kind of like
> sampling artifacts  Is the second sampling parameter still used with method 3?
> try boosting the min samples to 50 and rendering only that small part of the
> scene.  If it is closer to what you expected, then it was caused by sampling
> errors.
>
> -Reactor

Here's an example:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/SharkD2161/Support/gh_scene_outdoors_cubemap.png

Notice how the clouds are darker near the camera (at the top of the
image) and get lighter the farther away they are (toward the middle of
the image). The samples are already set pretty high:

samples 30, 100

-Mike

Post a reply to this message