POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields to isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfields to isosurfaces? (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces?
Date: 9 Dec 2008 07:08:30
Message: <493e5fbe@news.povray.org>
> What bothers me more is that when viewed at close range, all
> heightfields inevitably look "blocky", so I ask myself whether it is
> possible to convert the height value matrix of a heightfield by
> "cross-approximating" each row and column into a discrete 3D function
> like it is used with isosurfaces...

what you can also try is to superimpose random detail from
f_ridged or similar onto a handcrafted lower resolution HF.
Suppose you have some 2048x2048 HF data, but enough free
memory so you could render a much higher resolution.

You can then

1. Define a pigment P based on the HF image_map
2. Define a pigment function FP based on P.gray
3. Define a random detail funtion FR (e.g., f_ridged)
4. Define a terrain function such as 0.9*FP + 0.1*FR
5. Create HF from function image at desired resolution

Of course it's still blocky, but maybe less so.

Post a reply to this message