POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields to isosurfaces? : Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces?
From: Kenneth
Date: 9 Dec 2008 18:30:00
Message: <web.493efec87670da7f78dcad930@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:

> I suspect that isosurface spline functions might possibly do the job.
>
> The basic strategy would be for a grid to be laid over the heightfield,
> and for the edges of each square to be sampled to produce four splines.
> Each square patch could then be rendered...

The first thing that popped into my mind, as I read the poster's question, was
very similar to your idea, but only as a sort of vague concept of how it
*might* be accomplished.  But going from concept to code is another matter, and
I dismissed the idea as too outlandish and 'out there.' Glad to see that I
wasn't crazy after all! :-)

Ken W.