POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields to isosurfaces? : Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Dec 2008 08:34:41
Message: <493e73f1@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> schreef in bericht

> Did you consider using the "bicubic_patch" object in POV?  Maybe you could
> find (or write) some code to convert each heightfield cell into a bicubic
> patch, this would then still look very smooth even if you got very close.

A program like GeoControl does something like that I think as it has the
possibility to export the heightfield as an .obj file. The other side of the
medal however, is that this file is HUGE, a few hundreds of MB for a high
resolution heightfield. This is very difficult to manage subsequently and I
am unsure about its render possibilities in terms of memory. I never could
go beyond the export process... :-(

Thomas