POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC - voting policies (Message 1 to 10 of 51)
From: David Buck
Subject: IRTC - voting policies
Date: 8 Mar 2008 12:34:09
Message: <47d2ce11$1@news.povray.org>
I'd like to find a nice way to prevent or reduce voting anomalies in the
new IRTC web site.  I don't want people to be able to vote multiple
times in one contest and skew the votes.

So I'd like to know if you have any suggestions on how to do this.

1) How do we accept new voters?
	- automatically with e-mail confirmation?
	- only with admin approval?
	- other ideas?

2) Should submitters be allowed to vote in the round they submit to?

I intend to allow voters to rate each image in 4 categories
	- overall
	- technical merit
	- artistic merit
	- concept and interpretation of theme

Each rating is on a scale from 0 to 10.

3) How should the scores be combined

4) Should we allow partial voting?
	- by this I mean rating some images but not all
	- I have no assurance that they even looked at all of them
	- if you rated the first 5 pictures but none of the others,
		should any of your ratings be considered?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
David Buck

Post a reply to this message

David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> 2) Should submitters be allowed to vote in the round they submit to?

  Definitely. My guess is that at least 90% of the votes will be from
the submitters themselves. Without their vote the amount of votes could
be very low.

  Natually no voting for your own submission.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> I'd like to find a nice way to prevent or reduce voting anomalies in the
> new IRTC web site.  I don't want people to be able to vote multiple
> times in one contest and skew the votes.
>
> So I'd like to know if you have any suggestions on how to do this.
>
> 1) How do we accept new voters?
>  - automatically with e-mail confirmation?
>  - only with admin approval?
>  - other ideas?
>
> 2) Should submitters be allowed to vote in the round they submit to?
>
> I intend to allow voters to rate each image in 4 categories
>  - overall
>  - technical merit
>  - artistic merit
>  - concept and interpretation of theme
>
> Each rating is on a scale from 0 to 10.
>
> 3) How should the scores be combined
>
> 4) Should we allow partial voting?
>  - by this I mean rating some images but not all
>  - I have no assurance that they even looked at all of them
>  - if you rated the first 5 pictures but none of the others,
>   should any of your ratings be considered?
>
> Your thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> David Buck

I'm not sure how easy it will be to program the system, but here's my idea for
you.

One, to prevent skew votes, only a panel judge (i.e. someone ruled by the IRTC
staff as a reliable voter) or an entrant can vote for a particular round.  To
ensure voting is not skewed, a voter must enter the e-mail adress they
submitted an entrant with, and a password which is associated with an account
they have created.  When a voter enters the system, they can vote, change
votes, and add coments in their name.  The system will only allow voters with
proper access.  The system allows them to vote on all images except their own,
and automatically stores their given score.

Partial voting can be allowed if a particular system is set up.  In this system,
the total is calculated by the total score earned by an entrant, divided by the
number of votes the entrant recieved.  This would make the scores comparable to
each other.

For example, entrant one had 5 votes, with scores of 35, 29, 32, 40, and 31.
Entrant two only had three votes, with scores of 28, 37, and 34.  Their final
score would be 33.4, and 33.  This way, despite vote amounts, the scores would
be close enough for a winner.

I personally would like a voter to be forced to vote for all, but that's how I
wuold deal with partial voting.

Also, if you don't mind, I suggest adding a fifth category called "Wow factor",
which is basically like, without thinking about this image at all, what did you
first intrepret it as.  I.e. a first interpretation.

I think that answers everything.  Hope I helped.

Post a reply to this message