POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - voting policies : Re: IRTC - voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - voting policies
From: John VanSickle
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:13:42
Message: <47d2f376$1@news.povray.org>
David Buck wrote:
> I'd like to find a nice way to prevent or reduce voting anomalies in the
> new IRTC web site.  I don't want people to be able to vote multiple
> times in one contest and skew the votes.
>
> So I'd like to know if you have any suggestions on how to do this.
>
> 1) How do we accept new voters?
>     - automatically with e-mail confirmation?
>     - only with admin approval?
>     - other ideas?

If they're contributors to POV-Ray V4, they can vote.  Otherwise they
have to have an entry in the round.

Not that programmers are better judges, but I was interested in
rewarding those who help program V4.

> 2) Should submitters be allowed to vote in the round they submit to?

Sure.

> I intend to allow voters to rate each image in 4 categories
>     - overall
>     - technical merit
>     - artistic merit
>     - concept and interpretation of theme

I'm not sure the overall category is that important.

 > Each rating is on a scale from 0 to 10.

That makes more sense than 1 to 20, but artistic merit and concept are
still too subjective to be directly quantifiable.  On the other hand,
whether one work is more artistically pleasing, or has a more
interesting/entertaining topic, than another, is a question most people
can answer without difficulty.

We can argue until doomsday about what a six out of ten means, or should
mean, for artistic merit, and still not answer the question in any
meaningful way.  On the other hand, while people may not agree on which
of two renderings is more pleasing, each person will have a good idea of
which one he/she prefers.

So we can vote on that basis, by having each voter rank the entries in
each category, and awarding points based on the ranking.

Regards,
John