POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - voting policies : Re: IRTC - voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:29:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - voting policies
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 9 Mar 2008 08:55:02
Message: <web.47d3eb6932e069a873e406e60@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> I'd like to find a nice way to prevent or reduce voting anomalies in the
> new IRTC web site.  I don't want people to be able to vote multiple
> times in one contest and skew the votes.
>
> So I'd like to know if you have any suggestions on how to do this.
>
> 1) How do we accept new voters?
>  - automatically with e-mail confirmation?
>  - only with admin approval?
>  - other ideas?
>
> 2) Should submitters be allowed to vote in the round they submit to?

Opening judging to the general public is generally a bad idea
in that it invites voting fraud.   I rather liked the TC-IRTC
idea of allowing voting by both those who have submitted entries
to the current round and those who have entered within a given
period of time (say three rounds back).  Using an email
confirmed user name and password system seems the most
logical choice.

> I intend to allow voters to rate each image in 4 categories
>  - overall
>  - technical merit
>  - artistic merit
>  - concept and interpretation of theme
>
> Each rating is on a scale from 0 to 10.

a "Wow Factor" could be incorporated by fine tuning the name of
the "overall" category (perhaps to something like "overall
impact") rather than creating a fifth category.

> 3) How should the scores be combined

A percentage of total possible points would be pretty clear and
easy to interpret.

> 4) Should we allow partial voting?
>  - by this I mean rating some images but not all
>  - I have no assurance that they even looked at all of them
>  - if you rated the first 5 pictures but none of the others,
>   should any of your ratings be considered?

Personally, I feel rather strongly that only the votes of those
who have taken the time and effort to rate ALL of the submissions
should be counted.

> Your thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> David Buck

Thank YOU for taking the time to seek participant feedback.

Best Regards,
Mike C.