POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Human Figures? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:32:19 EDT (-0400)
  Human Figures? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: FrogRay
Subject: Human Figures?
Date: 8 Jan 2007 01:10:01
Message: <web.45a1def586b9393cec780c250@news.povray.org>
Hi all

I am wanting to create reasonably realistic human figures to include in my
pov-ray scenes.  By realistic I mean that the proportions of limbs and body
are correct - I'm not too worried (at this stage) about fine details such
as face, hair fingernails, etc.

I am using a program called Art Of Illusion which has quite a good mesh
modelling tool.

What I am wondering is whether it is worth the time and effort to use a
mesh-modeller such as AOI or whether I would be better off purchasing
something like POSER.

Has anyone had much success with AOI ? (I don't think I've seen it
mentioned)

Also, I have heard that you don't own the copyright to your own
objects/models created with POSER.
Can someone please confirm or clarify this for me?

Thanks Heaps.

Post a reply to this message

> I am wanting to create reasonably realistic human figures to include in my
> pov-ray scenes.  By realistic I mean that the proportions of limbs and
> body
> are correct - I'm not too worried (at this stage) about fine details such
> as face, hair fingernails, etc.
>
> I am using a program called Art Of Illusion which has quite a good mesh
> modelling tool.
>
> What I am wondering is whether it is worth the time and effort to use a
> mesh-modeller such as AOI or whether I would be better off purchasing
> something like POSER.
>
> Has anyone had much success with AOI ? (I don't think I've seen it
> mentioned)
>

> Also, I have heard that you don't own the copyright to your own
> objects/models created with POSER.
> Can someone please confirm or clarify this for me?
>
> Thanks Heaps.

If you want human figures easy and fast to pose in a POV-Ray scene, then
save yourself the trouble to create them from scratch in AOI or any other
mesh modelling tool, as rewarding and useful that work might be to you. I
certainly would recommend Poser. Alternatively, you can try Daz|Studio which
is free, especially to get the feeling of posing itself. However, since I
switched to Poser, I find that tool far superior to Daz|Studio.
I don't exactly know about copyrights. If you use the Poser figures, I
suppose the strict copyright resides with e frontier (before: Curious Lab),
but you are allowed to use them freely. However, there certainly is somebody
in these ng's who is more knowledgeable than I am.

Hope this helps.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> What I am wondering is whether it is worth the time and effort to use a
> mesh-modeller such as AOI or whether I would be better off purchasing
> something like POSER.

called www.contentparadise.com was giving away Poser 5 for free,
legitimately. There might be a copy available.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I am wanting to create reasonably realistic human figures to include in my
> pov-ray scenes.  By realistic I mean that the proportions of limbs and body
> are correct - I'm not too worried (at this stage) about fine details such
> as face, hair fingernails, etc.
>
> I am using a program called Art Of Illusion which has quite a good mesh
> modelling tool.
>
> What I am wondering is whether it is worth the time and effort to use a
> mesh-modeller such as AOI or whether I would be better off purchasing
> something like POSER.
>
> Has anyone had much success with AOI ? (I don't think I've seen it
> mentioned)
>

> Also, I have heard that you don't own the copyright to your own
> objects/models created with POSER.
> Can someone please confirm or clarify this for me?
>
> Thanks Heaps.

FrogRay,

Get DAZ|Studio
http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/studio/-/?

and the free 3rd generation figures from
http://www.download.com/3000-20-10579249.html?part=undefined&subj=dl&tag=button

some free skin textures here:
www.renderosity.com

Then use PoseRay
http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/
to convert the DAZ|Studio models to POV-Ray scenes.

good luck,

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message