POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Human Figures? : Re: Human Figures? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:32:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human Figures?
From: Chris B
Date: 8 Jan 2007 04:52:19
Message: <45a21453$1@news.povray.org>
"FrogRay" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.45a1def586b9393cec780c250@news.povray.org...
> Hi all
>
> I am wanting to create reasonably realistic human figures to include in my
> pov-ray scenes.  By realistic I mean that the proportions of limbs and
> body
> are correct - I'm not too worried (at this stage) about fine details such
> as face, hair fingernails, etc.

Hi,
In addition to considering Poser and DAZ Studio you may also wish to take a
look at my POV-Person library, an Alpha version of which is at
http://www.geocities.com/povperson/. This can achieve reasonably realistic
posable figures (depending on your criteria for 'reasonably realistic' :-).
The proportions of limbs can be adjusted as can be seen in the 'crowd'
example on the POV-Person home page where the proportions have been
randomised to give a bit of variety.

> I am using a program called Art Of Illusion which has quite a good mesh
> modelling tool.

Body parts in POV-Person can be replaced, so if you wanted to model a
particular feature in AOI and incorporate it into one of the existing
figures you can do that. Most of the faces in POV-Person are currently mesh
objects, so if you wanted a new head on a POV-Person body you can just
replace an existing one.

> What I am wondering is whether it is worth the time and effort to use a
> mesh-modeller such as AOI or whether I would be better off purchasing
> something like POSER.

This really depends on what you're trying to achieve, how quickly you want
to achieve it and how useful the skills you'd learn will be to you in the
future.

> Has anyone had much success with AOI ? (I don't think I've seen it
> mentioned)

I've never tried it.

> Also, I have heard that you don't own the copyright to your own
> objects/models created with POSER.
> Can someone please confirm or clarify this for me?

I had heard that too, but I've never seen that confirmed anywhere. I did
look through a Poser manual a long time ago to try and work that out, but
couldn't find anything on the right to redistribute 3D models generated from
Poser. I concluded that there probably would be licensing issues with
distributing a POV-Ray scene file along with a model converted from a Poser
model.

For POV-Person I can confirm that you can modify and reuse anything from the
POV-Person library, because I've written it all from scratch.

Regards,
Chris B.