POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tent object Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Tent object (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Cerambycideh
Subject: Tent object
Date: 23 Mar 2008 18:40:01
Message: <web.47e6e96dfe4726f18ace12d10@news.povray.org>
Anyone know where I can find Povray code for a tent object - a large event tent
with or without embellishments. Alternatively, any quick and simple ideas for
code to make one would be helpful. I could do the basic shapes easily enough,
but I'm looking for a ready object because I'd prefer to have something with
folds in the canvas etc., so that it is a bit more realistic. I would spend
some time doing this myself, but deadline is looming and I spent a long time
making some building renders for the same project (thank you Pov-stairs!).
Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> Anyone know where I can find Povray code for a tent object - a large event
> tent
> with or without embellishments. Alternatively, any quick and simple ideas
> for
> code to make one would be helpful. I could do the basic shapes easily
> enough,
> but I'm looking for a ready object because I'd prefer to have something
> with
> folds in the canvas etc., so that it is a bit more realistic. I would
> spend
> some time doing this myself, but deadline is looming and I spent a long
> time
> making some building renders for the same project (thank you Pov-stairs!).
> Thanks.

I don't recall ever having seen anything quite resembling a POV-Ray event
tent. How realistic do you need it to be?

When you say 'folds in the canvas', do you mean the rounded edges where it
folds around the tent poles, some sort of grid of folds from where it was
previously folded up, or the loose folds of cloth around the openings?

Is there a google image you could point to that illustrates what you mean?

Although it's not designed for this, the Labeller macros at
http://lib.povray.org/ include a polyhedron shape with rounded edges. This
generates a thin CSG object that you can easily punch holes in. I did a
quick and simple test with one 4 sided polyhedron for the roof, one for the
rim around the edge of the roof and a third for the main sides of the tent
and it looked sort of ok (not brilliant, but ok).

How good/quick do you need it to be?

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message