POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tent object : Re: Tent object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tent object
From: Chris B
Date: 25 Mar 2008 11:55:20
Message: <47e92e78$1@news.povray.org>

Glad you said that :-)

>>but would like it to be better than a stacked cube and pyramid.  I don't
>>need
>>folds around the openings, I'll just difference out a doorway. The folds I
>>was
>>thinking of are just the 'waves' in the canvas near the bottom of tents.
>>I'll
>>have a look at the tool you mention to see if it can generate this.

I've posted a couple of images that I did by quickly playing around with the
Labeller macro on povray.binaries.images (See 'Event' Tent Ideas). If they
come anywhere close to what you want I can post the settings and the design
file so you can play about with them (you'll also need the Labeller download
I mentioned before).

>> I figured
>>somone must have seen or used a large-tent object before.  If I can't find
>>anything and end up creating this from scratch I'll be sure to post it for
>>future users.
>>   Thanks.
>>

> If that is all you want then "normals" in the texture might be a quick
> and easy way for you to do it. In the docs look at the phase,
> tutorial. It is for an animation but the principle can be applied to
> stills.
> --
>
> Regards
>     Stephen

The images I posted use a simple 'wrinkles' normal, but, as Stephen says,
you should be able to adjust that to achieve the sort of folds you're after.

Regards,
Chris B.