POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Too many nested objects Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Too many nested objects (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: Too many nested objects
Date: 19 Sep 2004 05:47:06
Message: <414d559a@news.povray.org>
> > Do you, by any chance, know exactly how deep into objects POV-Ray can
trace
> > without reaching the nested-max?
>
> 100.  If you hit that limit, change your scene because if you hit it, you
> can be certain there is something very inefficient in your scene.

Yeah, I'd expect that to be inefficient for standard scenes. But when I use
a particle system with hundreds of particles, such things can easily happen.
But I guess it's not that easy to raise that limit without requiring much
more memory.
Thanks for responses, Slime and Thorsten!

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

Tim Nikias <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> Yeah, I'd expect that to be inefficient for standard scenes. But when I use
> a particle system with hundreds of particles, such things can easily happen.

  You might want to rework your particle system so that if there is more
than 100 particles one inside another, not all of them are actually
instantiated (it wouldn't make any difference in the image anyways).