POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : back side and interior texture Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  back side and interior texture (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Christophe Raffalli
Subject: back side and interior texture
Date: 25 Feb 2004 11:21:21
Message: <403ccb81$1@news.povray.org>
I read the manual about interior texture. It says that it can be apply
to triangle (and I assume mesh and mesh2) but I did not find (with a
grep) the definition of backside and frontside for triangles, mesh and
mesh2 ?

Moreover, the definition seems to differ from OpenGL's (order of
vertices) and seems not to use normals either when they are given so I
can not guess it !

Please help.

Thanks

Christophe Raffalli

Post a reply to this message

> I read the manual about interior texture. It says that it can be apply
> to triangle (and I assume mesh and mesh2) but I did not find (with a
> grep) the definition of backside and frontside for triangles, mesh and
> mesh2 ?
>
> Moreover, the definition seems to differ from OpenGL's (order of
> vertices) and seems not to use normals either when they are given so I
> can not guess it !
>
> Please help.

You cannot currently recreate the OpenGL backface cullling effect with
POV-Ray.  This effect only exists in OpenGL as a speed optimisation because
for OpenGL it is faster to not render backfacing triangles.  This is not the
case in POV-Ray.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

>>I read the manual about interior texture. It says that it can be apply
>>to triangle (and I assume mesh and mesh2) but I did not find (with a
>>grep) the definition of backside and frontside for triangles, mesh and
>>mesh2 ?
>>
>>Moreover, the definition seems to differ from OpenGL's (order of
>>vertices) and seems not to use normals either when they are given so I
>>can not guess it !
>>
>>Please help.
>

> You cannot currently recreate the OpenGL backface cullling effect with
> POV-Ray.

I am not sure I understand
>  This effect only exists in OpenGL as a speed optimisation because
> for OpenGL it is faster to not render backfacing triangles.  This is not the
> case in POV-Ray.

What I want is to be able to choose which face if the backside and which
face if the front face for a mesh2 in fact.

For the moment I get a nice patchwork (not completely random) because
texture and interior texture are applied in a way I do not understand to
each triangle in the mesh. (my mesh uses OpenGL convention for the order
of vertices and has normals pointing to the outside).

Should I give a script sample ?