POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : back side and interior texture : Re: back side and interior texture Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: back side and interior texture
From: Christophe Raffalli
Date: 25 Feb 2004 12:07:58
Message: <403CD6BA.5080509@univ-savoie.fr>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> In article <403ccb81$1@news.povray.org> , Christophe Raffalli
> <raf### [at] univ-savoiefr>  wrote:
>

>>I read the manual about interior texture. It says that it can be apply
>>to triangle (and I assume mesh and mesh2) but I did not find (with a
>>grep) the definition of backside and frontside for triangles, mesh and
>>mesh2 ?
>>
>>Moreover, the definition seems to differ from OpenGL's (order of
>>vertices) and seems not to use normals either when they are given so I
>>can not guess it !
>>
>>Please help.
>

> You cannot currently recreate the OpenGL backface cullling effect with
> POV-Ray.

I am not sure I understand
>  This effect only exists in OpenGL as a speed optimisation because
> for OpenGL it is faster to not render backfacing triangles.  This is not the
> case in POV-Ray.

What I want is to be able to choose which face if the backside and which
face if the front face for a mesh2 in fact.

For the moment I get a nice patchwork (not completely random) because
texture and interior texture are applied in a way I do not understand to
each triangle in the mesh. (my mesh uses OpenGL convention for the order
of vertices and has normals pointing to the outside).

Should I give a script sample ?