POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface Scattering Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Subsurface Scattering (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: mcavoys
Subject: Re: Subsurface Scattering
Date: 15 Jul 2003 19:20:35
Message: <3f148c1e.7193183@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:40:05 +0200, "Gilles Tran" <git### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

>> Many thanks. Excellent service. This newsgroup looks ripe for
>privatisation.
>
>True enough, I can't wait to have our first POV-Ray accidents once the
>development is subcontracted to the lowest bidders/highest bribers using
>temporary and expandable workers with prior expertise in fruit picking  ;)

That told him :-}

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Ben Chambers
Date: 16 Jul 2003 15:24:18
Message: <3f15a662@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <git### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
> Try the code below. Left sphere is with subsurface scattering.
> Note that it shows one problem I had with the ISS image when I used this
on
> the kid's arm, which is that the dark (densest) parts tend to be quite
black
> and do not react to radiosity.

So to compensate the lack of radiosity (on this object), would you just use
a light_group to give it ambient light?

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 16 Jul 2003 17:32:07
Message: <cjameshuff-969784.16294616072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f124882$1@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom>
wrote:

> I can see the difference when dense media is used within an object, but is
> this really the same exact effect?

Not exactly the same effect, but very close. POV media doesn't simulate
secondary scattering...a bright light scatters light to the camera, but
not to other media. Something like photons may make this possible, or
have scattering media use radiosity, but you can guess at the CPU
requirements...anyway, for most purposes, media will work fine. Since
subsurface scattering is usually limited to the near-surface, you might
get render time and quality improvements by using an opaque core with a
media shell.

> And why would human skin have it? *My*
> skin certainly isn't very transparent.

Your skin is perfectly opaque? You should probably see a doctor about
that...
Flesh is normally fairly translucent. You can see veins under it, softer
terminator lines on shadows, and reddish coloration of light filtering
through it. There are images demonstrating this pretty well...an image
without subsurface scattering looks like the skin is coated with a layer
of paint when compared to one with subsurface scattering. Or like
really, really thick makeup.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/