POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface Scattering : Re: Subsurface Scattering Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface Scattering
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Jul 2003 16:03:53
Message: <MPG.1981ffbea17f1df8989839@news.povray.org>
In article <3f17203a$1@news.povray.org>, mon### [at] stinet says...
> Check out this picture of three glasses of milk
> http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/images/imgs/milk.jpg.  The one on the far
> right has no subsurface scattering, and looks like thick paint.  But the two
> on the left do have this effect and replicate the look of milk almost
> perfectly.

I have been thinking about this some. And media just won't do what is
really needed for this. What you need is something like:

texture {
  pigment {Flesh}
  Subsurface {
    Pigment {
    }
    Scattering .5
    Depth .1
  }
}

Why? Because you can't get veins and things to show through properly.
Anything like that you mapped to it would end up on the surface, but you
want those sorts of things to be the 'subsurface' and have the light
bounce back from there. It 'may' be possible to make a model that has two
layers, one for the surface skin and a second for the subsurface and
stuff media in between them, but this is hardly efficient and imho is
outright impractical with a complex model. There is also the other
factor, in the case of something like the milk you are talking about, it
is literally impossible to make a media that is 'thick' enough (or my one
attempt to fiddle with it failed to produce such anyway) so as to mask
things behind it. Maybe in a very large container, but definitely not in
something small.

A real method to do this would be very useful.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else