POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images
Date: 1 Apr 2003 13:43:50
Message: <3e89dde6@news.povray.org>
In article <3e89d6ed@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   I wonder if this could be a nicer solution.

No.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Renderdog
Subject: Re: Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered
Date: 1 Apr 2003 15:20:03
Message: <web.3e89f3c7573676b7ba9929f0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

>In short: Nowhere is ever said a partial image is good for anything but a
>continued trace.  And the image size is required prior to read the image.
>This is how all image formats work, and how all image formats are output in
>POV-Ray.

I've never used the continued trace feature, but I do partial renders quite
often. The uncompressed Targa format works well for me, as it handles large
image sizes and I can read the partial image (my image program displays the
partial render in the upper left corner, with garbage filling the rest). I
also grab partial renders from the screen.

I was always a little surprised POV-Ray didn't simply create an image the
size of the partial render, but that appears to be because I never used the
continued trace feature. Is there a more efficient "partial render"
technique that I'm missing?

Post a reply to this message