POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images : Re: Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:09:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 1 Apr 2003 17:37:36
Message: <pbourke-978FCF.08353902042003@netplex.aussie.org>
> When using the Partial Output Options +sc +ec +sr +er povray incorrectly
> writes the full image size info to the PNG file it generates.

This is a long standing problem, not limited to the png output
format. I think I first noticed it about 7 years ago.

I agree totally (with a few of the respondents) that the correct
dimenions should be specified otherwise how can one say the image
file is written correctly. In general image software won't read
these sub image files correctly, eg: PhotoShop.

And lastly, it was suggested that there aren't reasons to do a
partial render except for a "continued trace". Not so. I use it
extensively for distributed rendering of very long running
renderings jobs across our cluster. I suspect lots of people
use it to preview parts of their images, as it stands many/most
image viewing tools won't handle the resulting "corrupt" images.
--
Paul Bourke
pbo### [at] swineduau