POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images : Re: Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray writes wrong PNG image size info to partially rendered images
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 2 Apr 2003 10:24:29
Message: <3E8B0003.1E425A2D@onwijs.com>
Paul Bourke wrote:

> > Partial images are there to continue a trace, not more, not less.  If you
> > want to get a partial render of an image, specify it as such on the
> > command-line.  The continue trace feature should simply not be used for
> > this.
>
> Actually I never do a partial render....what I was actually
> replying to was the case where I select a subset range of
> columns or rows, on the command line or in an ini file. The
> resulting tga file will have the dimensions in the header of
> the full size image and not the subset image. Surely this
> is an incorrectly written image.
>
> Having said this (which has certainly been the case for a
> long time), I better check that it hasn't been fixed in the
> current release.
> --
> Paul Bourke
> pbo### [at] swineduau

I have used partial renders a lot for a project a couple of years ago. I
used it to animate part of a scene. Rerendering the whole scene would
have taken too much time and I only needed a small portion of the output
anyway. What I remember was that I would get an image at the full size
with the rendered part at the top of the image. The horizontal
orientation was correct, the vertical orientation gone. I had to make a
little tool to get everything back in place again.
This was with version 3.1 outputting windows bitmaps. My guess is that
image formats can put limitations on the output of partial renders. At
the time I would have liked it if the rendered part had been on it's
right place but I didn't really feel the need to complain. Perhaps this
has changed in newer versions?

Remco