POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : It's 90% about textures (and finishes) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:07:55 EDT (-0400)
  It's 90% about textures (and finishes) (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Slashdolt
Subject: It's 90% about textures (and finishes)
Date: 6 Mar 2003 15:22:22
Message: <3e67adfe$1@news.povray.org>
Just an observation...  (Don't kill me!)

From viewing IRTC images and some WIPs from past and present, it seems like
many of them are very complex images, for which someone probably spent TONS
of time creating.  But the one thing that strikes me so often is that the
textures/finishes are not quite right.

Textures are very hard to get right, I understand.  I spend most of my time
on textures when I create an image, and even so, I would agree that it's
still not perfect.  But often, it appears that the artist spent all of their
time creating the gadgets' shapes, and then simply said "texture {wood_12}",
and that's a shame.

I'm not sure if people simply don't notice, aren't sure what to do about it,
or run out of time, or what.  I feel like we need a phrase similar to,
"Location! Location! Location!" (Textures! Textures! Textures!).  Anyone can
create a box, but creating a box with a 3-layer texture and some sort of
normal plus a great finish can really pull it into reality.  So many images
could become incredible images if people would simply spend more time on the
textures.

I'm not trying to put down anyone's work, but rather I hope that I'm helping
to make everyone's works more impressive.  There is an entire tutorial
section (actually 2) on creating textures + finishes, etc.

Feel free to disagree with my "90%" claim, but I'm just using that to make a
point.  Lighting is a major factor, as well as other things like focal blur,
radiosity, etc., but generally those things don't require tons of time
before getting set.

(I felt this was more of a general topic, rather than simply an IRTC topic,
hence the post here...)

--
Slash

Post a reply to this message