POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : It's 90% about textures (and finishes) : Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes)
From: Andreas Kreisig
Date: 6 Mar 2003 16:52:38
Message: <3e67c326@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt wrote:

> I'm not sure if people simply don't notice, aren't sure what to do about
> it,
> or run out of time, or what.  I feel like we need a phrase similar to,
> "Location! Location! Location!" (Textures! Textures! Textures!).  Anyone
> can create a box, but creating a box with a 3-layer texture and some sort
> of
> normal plus a great finish can really pull it into reality.  So many
> images could become incredible images if people would simply spend more
> time on the textures.

In my opinion POV-Ray needs more features regarding textures similar to
other 3D applications like alpha maps, specularity maps (!!) or image based
displacement mapping. The textures in POV-Rays include files are powerfull
but in most cases not very realistic. Or you have not enough control about
them, e.g. if you need rust or specularity only on special areas. In this
cases you actually need an image map so that you can define these areas
exactly.

Regards,
Andreas

--