POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : It's 90% about textures (and finishes) : Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes)
From: gonzo
Date: 6 Mar 2003 23:59:20
Message: <3e682728@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message
> Just an observation...  (Don't kill me!)
>
> From viewing IRTC images and some WIPs from past and present, it seems
like
> many of them are very complex images, for which someone probably spent
TONS
> of time creating.  But the one thing that strikes me so often is that the
> textures/finishes are not quite right.
>
> Textures are very hard to get right, I understand.  I spend most of my
time
> on textures when I create an image, and even so, I would agree that it's
> still not perfect.  But often, it appears that the artist spent all of
their
> time creating the gadgets' shapes, and then simply said "texture
{wood_12}",
> and that's a shame.

I'm a texture collector. Textures can make or break an image.  I usually
work on textures a lot in an image, and I create most of my own from
scratch. The only POV textures I have used 'as is' are some in glass.inc. I
use POVs wood textures, but usually modify them.

All my 3D experience prior to learning POV was in Bryce, so I'm probably
biased, but having a texture editor like Bryce's DTE for POV textures would
be great!  Creating good textures is time consuming even in Bryce, and far
more so in POV.

I can create pigments fairly quickly using Bob's color picker (thanks Bob!),
and I can even get basic finishes fairly quickly, primarily because I've
used Bryce's editor enough to know what I'm looking for as far as diffuse,
specular etc. But fine tuning finishes takes time, and the finer it is
usually the longer it takes to render, so testing starts running into
overtime.

And normals are harder to do, take even longer to test render, only to
discover it wasn't what you thought at all, and you have to start all over.
So far I have not been able to get the kind of detail I want in my POV
textures simply because I don't have the time to spend on them.

Having an editor that lets you do all that in one place, and see what you
are doing while you do it invaluable, especially when time is critical.

RG