POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : It's 90% about textures (and finishes) : Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Mar 2003 18:01:47
Message: <cjameshuff-5D41BE.18014906032003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e67c326@news.povray.org>,
 Andreas Kreisig <and### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> In my opinion POV-Ray needs more features regarding textures similar to
> other 3D applications like alpha maps, specularity maps (!!) or image based
> displacement mapping.

Alpha maps...I've long wanted transparency separated from color. Making
transparency controllable by a pattern or function would be incredibly
powerful.

Specularity maps: better to make all finish values controllable as I
mentioned for transparency, or add a finish_map feature. I think there
are patches out there for this, I don't know how complete they are or
how well it works.

Displacement mapping: this has been discussed a *lot* on these groups.
It would require automatic tessellation of all objects, and is generally
a huge amount of work before you even get to the displacement features.
I've done a little work on it, so have a few other people.

> The textures in POV-Rays include files are powerfull but in most
> cases not very realistic.

Most of them were written long ago, before there was even radiosity. A
new set of includes using macros and the more modern texture features
could be far more powerful and realistic.

> Or you have not enough control about
> them, e.g. if you need rust or specularity only on special areas. In this
> cases you actually need an image map so that you can define these areas
> exactly.

This is something you generally need to make custom textures for.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/