POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New mesh type Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  New mesh type (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Rohan Bernett
Subject: New mesh type
Date: 9 Oct 2002 23:20:05
Message: <web.3da4f198f1acbd18ccf4f70@news.povray.org>
Could it be possible to add a new and easier to use mesh type to povray 4?
From what I've seen elsewhere, it looks quite cumbersome and confusing to
write a mesh using smooth triangles.

How about a syntax like this:

mesh3{
  triangle{p1,p2,p3
    pigment{rgb1, rgb2,rgb3} // blended colours
    // or
    pigment{uv1,uv2,uv3} // using image texture, only from mesh
    // or
    pigment{rgb} // solid colour triangle
    smooth_vect{v1,v2,v3} // only used if smooth turned on in mesh
    }

  image{filename} // used to specify texture
  smooth on // uses smooth_vect values for individual triangeles
            // works like in heightfield for any non-smoothed triangles
  tesselate on // uses tesselation to create curved surfaces, curve would
               // probably be based on smoothvect, and verticies from nearby
               // triangles
  }

This looks like it would be more understandable when writing meshes by hand.
It would probably take longer to parse though.

What do you think?

Rohan _e_ii

Post a reply to this message