POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New mesh type : Re: New mesh type Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New mesh type
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 10 Oct 2002 03:36:00
Message: <3DA52DEF.8060009@free.fr>
Rohan Bernett wrote:

> Could it be possible to add a new and easier to use mesh type to povray 4?
> From what I've seen elsewhere, it looks quite cumbersome and confusing to
> write a mesh using smooth triangles.
>
> How about a syntax like this:

[SNIP, I leave it to the others...]

>   smooth on // uses smooth_vect values for individual triangeles
>             // works like in heightfield for any non-smoothed triangles

Interesting (with irony!): How do you create the smoothness information
? By magic of the code, I presume ?
You might want to have a look at my tesselation patch which has a
'smooth' primitive (input a mesh, output a smooth mesh). There is too
many way to compute a smooth normal at a vertex for a collection of
triangle. see http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/smooth.html
(beware, it's in french, so babelfish might help you too!)

>   tesselate on // uses tesselation to create curved surfaces, curve would
>                // probably be based on smoothvect, and verticies from nearby
>                // triangles

First that's not 'tesselate', it is 'surface subdivision' in your case.
Tesselation is when you have a finite solid object and end up with a mesh.
Subdivision is when you have a raw mesh and end up with a finer mesh
(with far more triangle, obviously intelligently placed...).
You should probably have a look at the bicubic patch object in Povray.

>   }
>
> This looks like it would be more understandable when writing meshes by hand.
> It would probably take longer to parse though.
>
> What do you think?

There is more than mesh in native Pov.