POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this an optimum outline for Mesh_Smoothing macro? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Is this an optimum outline for Mesh_Smoothing macro? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Shay
Subject: Is this an optimum outline for Mesh_Smoothing macro?
Date: 28 Dec 2001 15:45:12
Message: <3c2cd9d8$1@news.povray.org>
I was looking at bicubic patches, but they seem pretty limiting so I want to
try modeling with mesh2. I want to write a macro that will figure the normal
vertices. I am assuming that I created the triangles myself, so all faces
will be defined clockwise. This is the best idea I could come up with. Is
there a faster way? Unfortunately, I know very little of programming outside
of Povray.

#macro Mesh_Smooth (VERTICES_array, FACES_array)

Make a 1D array (VCOUNT_array) to store the number of times each element in
VERTICES_array appears in FACES_array

Make a 1D array (NFACES_array) to store the normals of each face in
FACES_array

Make a 1D array (CHECKED_array) to store the number of times a faces normal
has been used to determine a vertex normal

************

Start with VERTICES_array[n]

Create 1D array (USEDFACES_array) with VCOUNT_array[n] elements to store the
NFACES.array positions used in determining the vertex normal

Create 1D array (FVNORMS_array) with VCOUNT_array[n] elements to store the
NFACES.array content used in determining the vertex normal

Make a loop from 0 to VCOUNT_array[n]-1

Search in FACES_array for occurances of VERTEX_array[n]

When found, check for normal in NFACES_array and if not present, calculate
the normal of the face and store it in NFACES_array and in FVNORMS._array.
Also, increase CHECKED_array[n] by one and store "n" in USEDFACES_array.

When appropriate number of faces have been calculated, calculate vertex
normal and output it to a file

Use USEDFACES_array to check CHECKED_array for faces which have been used
three times. Remove any which have from FACES_array, NFACES_array, and
CHECKED_array.

Repeat.

Post a reply to this message

> I was looking at bicubic patches, but they seem pretty limiting so I
> want to try modeling with mesh2. I want to write a macro that will
> figure the normal vertices. I am assuming that I created the triangles
> myself, so all faces will be defined clockwise. This is the best idea
> I could come up with. Is there a faster way? Unfortunately, I know
> very little of programming outside of Povray.

If you download the Subdivision Surface Suite at:

  http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm

You can find code that will help you.

Although the code I have at the above location doesn't support sharp
edges, you might want to do so.  It requires maintaining the state of
each edge, and the calculations get a bit more complicated, but
allows much more flexibility in the models you can support.

--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

> If you download the Subdivision Surface Suite at:
>
>   http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm

Clicking on the sss.zip link I get a screen that shows:

"Forbidden

Remote Host: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using 50megs"

with (I assume) the local proxy IP address where the 'x's are.

Any idea what's wrong? I'm using Netscape 6.2 on NT4 sp6.

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message