POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this an optimum outline for Mesh_Smoothing macro? : Re: Is this an optimum outline for Mesh_Smoothing macro? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this an optimum outline for Mesh_Smoothing macro?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 30 Dec 2001 03:32:30
Message: <3C2ED20F.C887BBCA@hotmail.com>
Shay wrote:

> I was looking at bicubic patches, but they seem pretty limiting so I
> want to try modeling with mesh2. I want to write a macro that will
> figure the normal vertices. I am assuming that I created the triangles
> myself, so all faces will be defined clockwise. This is the best idea
> I could come up with. Is there a faster way? Unfortunately, I know
> very little of programming outside of Povray.

If you download the Subdivision Surface Suite at:

  http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/sss.htm

You can find code that will help you.

Although the code I have at the above location doesn't support sharp
edges, you might want to do so.  It requires maintaining the state of
each edge, and the calculations get a bit more complicated, but
allows much more flexibility in the models you can support.

--
ICQ: 46085459