POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : zRCube (POV Clone) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:08:41 EDT (-0400)
  zRCube (POV Clone) (Message 41 to 50 of 60)
From: David
Subject: Re: zRCube (POV Clone)
Date: 31 May 2001 18:05:30
Message: <20010531.170638.201305624.5588@erwin.largegeek.com>
In article <3b1650cf@news.povray.org>, "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   Firstly, a .tar.gz has nothing to do with source archives. It's just
> a packing format completely equivalent to .zip, .arj or .rar. It
> couldn't care less about what's packed inside it. Unix program sources
> are usually distributed in this format, but that's just because it's the
> most common packing format in Unix; everything else is usually packed
> with this format as well. The format itself has nothing to do with
> sources or anything.
>   (If we are pedantic, a .tar.gz file is actually packed with _two_
>   programs:
> first tar and then gzip, although the gtar program supports both at the
> same time.)
>
>   Secondly, .tar.gz has nothing to do with Linux. In the same well as
>   .zip
> and .rar are universal formats, so is .tar.gz. It's just a
> system-independent packing format.
>   The fact that it has become popular in the Unix world does not make it
> a Linux format.
>   (I smell a say-Linux-when-should-say-Unix phenomenon in the original
> article as well, which is rather irritating...)

I apologize for the rather incorrect respomse.  As you can see from the
time, it was late, and I probably should've waited until morning to post.
Oh well, thank you for correcting me.

David
ICQ#: 118347772
smu### [at] ameritechnet

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 31 May 2001 22:23:34
Message: <3B16FC09.6817C055@pacbell.net>
Warp wrote:

> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> :> : A tar.gz file is a source archive for Linux.
> :>
> :>   No, it isn't.
>
> : Mostly true.
>
>   I'm sorry about my minimalist and rude answer :)

I was just jerking your chain anyway :)

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 1 Jun 2001 07:02:53
Message: <3b17765d@news.povray.org>
: You imply the rendering algorithm used to apply the radiosity light model
: does not matter.  Are you really sure this holds true in case of raytracing?
: Do the light models for reflection and refraction really work if you just
: see the radiosity data as a surface color variation?  Would it be applied
: prior or after the reflection/refraction is calculated?  I am just
: wondering, if you are not sure - no problem, I am asking because I don't
: know but would be interested in knowing because I never saw any written
: description of the classic radiosity being used with recursive raytracing.

  As far as I know, the radiosity is (at least usually) a pre-calculation
step, much like photon mapping. It's very similar to photon mapping in that
you first calculate the illumination (eg. light maps) of every surface and
after that you render the scene.
  I don't know how well the basic radiosity algorithm can simulate reflected
light of mirror surfaces (as photon mapping does), but I have the impression
that not very well. AFAIK it can't simulate refracted light at all (I think
that would require raytracing, exactly what photon mapping does).

  When taking into account these illumination values I don't think there's
any difference on whether you use scaline rendering or raytracing. Radiosity
merely changes the color of the surfaces and that's it.

  I might be completely wrong here of course, but I have never heard of
anything else (well, there might be more advanced versions of the basic
algorithm which do more, but I have never heard of those).

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I

Post a reply to this message