POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : zRCube (POV Clone) : Re: zRCube (POV Clone) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: zRCube (POV Clone)
From: Thomas
Date: 1 Jun 2001 09:14:01
Message: <3B179509.68CDDA6D@gmx.net>
Hi,

First of all I would like to say that I am the one that pointed povray.co.uk to
the zRCube web page.Secondly I also want to say that I really really like pov
and I have used it for years.

I stumbled acros the zrcube program a few months ago and had a quick look at it.
Last week I updated the sources, compiled them and ran a few test renders, and
they looked fine. I don't want to go into all the detailed discussion that has
been going on here regarding how radiosity should/could be done and certainly
not what is "real" radiosity. As a user I only care in the end how it looks like
and how long it takes.

One of the thing I would like to comment on is that zrcube currently compiles
and runs only on Unix like operating systems with gtk installed (which is only
used to display the image to the screen), but I see no reason why the rendering
core could be ported to other platforms quite easily, pov does the same in the
end. And whether one renderer is better then the other or not is no discussion
either POV is better and probably will stay better for a long time, but zrcube
adds a few very interesting feature, most notably network rendering. Which is a
VERY big miss in pov. What I also like about zrcube is the license, it has been
licensed under GPL which means everyone can do with the code whatever they want,
as long as they provide the sources as well.

It will be interesting to see how far these guys get in the next two weeks and
to see whether development will continue after that (after they handed over the
code to their teachers everyone can contribute to the code). Maybe a little
competition for POV is good thing.