POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : zRCube (POV Clone) : Re: zRCube (POV Clone) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: zRCube (POV Clone)
From: Warp
Date: 1 Jun 2001 07:02:53
Message: <3b17765d@news.povray.org>
: You imply the rendering algorithm used to apply the radiosity light model
: does not matter.  Are you really sure this holds true in case of raytracing?
: Do the light models for reflection and refraction really work if you just
: see the radiosity data as a surface color variation?  Would it be applied
: prior or after the reflection/refraction is calculated?  I am just
: wondering, if you are not sure - no problem, I am asking because I don't
: know but would be interested in knowing because I never saw any written
: description of the classic radiosity being used with recursive raytracing.

  As far as I know, the radiosity is (at least usually) a pre-calculation
step, much like photon mapping. It's very similar to photon mapping in that
you first calculate the illumination (eg. light maps) of every surface and
after that you render the scene.
  I don't know how well the basic radiosity algorithm can simulate reflected
light of mirror surfaces (as photon mapping does), but I have the impression
that not very well. AFAIK it can't simulate refracted light at all (I think
that would require raytracing, exactly what photon mapping does).

  When taking into account these illumination values I don't think there's
any difference on whether you use scaline rendering or raytracing. Radiosity
merely changes the color of the surfaces and that's it.

  I might be completely wrong here of course, but I have never heard of
anything else (well, there might be more advanced versions of the basic
algorithm which do more, but I have never heard of those).

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I