POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : render direction Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:12:28 EDT (-0400)
  render direction (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: render direction
Date: 9 Nov 2000 16:42:23
Message: <3a0b1a3f@news.povray.org>
In article <3A0AF5A6.8D03B49D@spiritone.com> , Josh English
<eng### [at] spiritonecom>  wrote:

> That is very strange. Was this bottom left to upper right or bottom right to
> upper left? I still don't undserstand why the order the rays are traced matter
> so much. Any enlightenment?

Very simple:  Procedural texture are based on pseudo-random number
generators.  While you get the same sequence for every render, you do not
get a reverse sequence when you render from bottom to top.

You would have the same problem with any other render algorithm that splits
up the image as well.  This is also one of the complicated issue when it
comes to making POV-Ray multithreaded or do network rendering of single
frames.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> That is very strange. Was this bottom left to upper right or bottom right to
> upper left?

left to right for both.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> Very simple:  Procedural texture are based on pseudo-random number
> generators.  While you get the same sequence for every render, you do not
> get a reverse sequence when you render from bottom to top.

I always thought this only affected FRAND(), and that patterns based on
Noise() would always give the same result for every point...hmm...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message