POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield/mapping question Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfield/mapping question (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Doug Eichenberg
Subject: Heightfield/mapping question
Date: 3 Sep 2000 14:13:24
Message: <39b294c4$1@news.povray.org>
I need to map a height field onto the inside of a hollow box, but I can only
think of one
way to do this: generate the image that will be used for the height field,
then cut it into
5 pieces (there's no top on the box) and map each piece separately.  I need
to make
sure the edges meet up smoothly... no areas where the separate maps don't
fit together
right.  It would be a lot easier with UV mapping; is it possible to UV map a
heightfield?
I don't think it is, but I haven't really messed with UV mapping yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
- Doug Eichenberg
  http://www.getinfo.net/douge

Post a reply to this message

> I need to map a height field onto the inside of a hollow box, but I
> can only think of one way to do this: generate the image that will be
> used for the height field, then cut it into 5 pieces (there's no top
> on the box) and map each piece separately.  I need to make sure the
> edges meet up smoothly... no areas where the separate maps don't fit
> together right.  It would be a lot easier with UV mapping; is it
> possible to UV map a heightfield? I don't think it is, but I haven't
> really messed with UV mapping yet.

First, what do you mean by "map a height field onto the inside of a
hollow box", and what would UV-mapping have to do with a height field
other than for texturing? You aren't thinking of a bump map instead of a
height field, are you? A height field is an object, and can't be
"mapped".

--
Christopher James Huff

<><