POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My own raytracer, need some docs... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  My own raytracer, need some docs... (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Simon Lemieux
Subject: My own raytracer, need some docs...
Date: 17 Aug 2000 18:01:01
Message: <399C60D6.784EEAEB@yahoo.com>
Hi,
	I've played with povray for a long time now and I realize that it's not
optimized for the kind of render I'm doing...  I mean povray takes forever to
parse a few millions of cylinders that have the same texture...  Yes, I know a
few Millions is a very huge number and should simply require more memory, but
povray crashed after filling my 128M of RAM and my 256M of swap...

Here I go...  I would like to make my own raytracer, not based on any point of
povray...  and optimize it for my own work...  but I never tried to make one and
I'm entering college for the first year this september,  what I was looking for
by posting this news is a list of books I should read in order to have a better
knowledge of this subject...  I prefer book over URL-documentation (unless
there's a .ps or .pdf i can print...)...

I already got a hand on Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice (Foley,
vanDam), but then, I would need some more!

Thanks a lot,
	Simon
--
+-------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Simon Lemieux           |         http://connect.to/666Mhz |

Post a reply to this message

i think the 'graphics gems' series covers all kinds of graphics
including raytracing.

Simon Lemieux wrote:

> Hi,
>         I've played with povray for a long time now and I realize that it's not
> optimized for the kind of render I'm doing...  I mean povray takes forever to
> parse a few millions of cylinders that have the same texture...  Yes, I know a
> few Millions is a very huge number and should simply require more memory, but
> povray crashed after filling my 128M of RAM and my 256M of swap...
>
> Here I go...  I would like to make my own raytracer, not based on any point of
> povray...  and optimize it for my own work...  but I never tried to make one and
> I'm entering college for the first year this september,  what I was looking for
> by posting this news is a list of books I should read in order to have a better
> knowledge of this subject...  I prefer book over URL-documentation (unless
> there's a .ps or .pdf i can print...)...
>
> I already got a hand on Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice (Foley,
> vanDam), but then, I would need some more!
>
> Thanks a lot,
>         Simon
> --
> +-------------------------+----------------------------------+
> | Simon Lemieux           |         http://connect.to/666Mhz |
> | lem### [at] yahoocom  | POV-Ray, OpenGL, C++ and more... |

Post a reply to this message

> i think the 'graphics gems' series covers all kinds of graphics
> including raytracing.

And where can I find that?

Thanks,
	Simon